RAGU’ ALLA BOLOGNESE
Rich and meaty, the ultimate comfort food, Bolognese sauce is served best with wide ribbons of eggy pappardelle and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 pound Pancetta, ground in a food processor until finely chopped
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 (6-ounce) can Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper
In a food processor, pulse first 4 ingredients until finely minced. This will help them melt into olive oil. Sauté vegetables in olive oil over medium heat in a large sauce pot. Stir until softened, about 8 minutes.
Add pancetta, veal and pork. Cook, breaking up with spoon, until no longer pink. Stir in tomato paste, milk, wine and water. Cover and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 1-1 1/2 hours.
Remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste.